Our history begins in the late nineteenth century when on December 22, 1882 Carlos Gross graduated from the Medical School of Rio de Janeiro (today UFRJ).
Son of the german commander, Carlos Guilherme Gross, Dr. Carlos was considered a brilliant doctor early in his career. Emperor Dom Pedro II was one of his important pacients.
Dr. Carlos Gross is character of the Brazilian history. In one occasion, Dr. Gross had a soldier on his medical care, who later was discharged because had been summoned urgently to a stagecoach. Marechal Deodoro da Fonseca himself made the soldier return home to the care of Dr. Gross.
In 1906, his son Fernando Gross graduated from the pharmacy school consolidating the family's vocation.
On the advice of some friends and moved by the need to encourage domestic production of medicines, Dr. Fernando Gross decided to start his own pharmaceutical business.
The first product launched was Phosphargyrio (a medicine for treatment of syphilis) on July 21, 1926, the day the Gross Laboratory was oficially founded.
The production started at Itambi Baron street, in the family's farm in Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro. They started producing in large-scale soon after and three other products were launched the following year: Gastrobilina, Glycosôro and Phosphobismol, whitch reached other states in Brazil. When the lab began to expand its productions, a two-floor facility was built close to the farm.
In 1931, the lab already accounts for 11 products sold in 15 states. Also this year, Atroveran - one of the most successful drug in the entire history of the national industry - is launched.
Later this year, Dr. Fernando Gross, launches the magazine 'Vida Médica', which remained in circulation for over 60 years. With an initial print run of 12,000 copies, the magazine used to publish the main work of the medical and pharmaceutical companies of Rio de Janeiro and Brazil, as the National Academy, the Society of Medicine and Surgery and the Brazilian Association of Pharmacists.
10 years later, the lab had 51 employees, mostly women. 11 propagandists, 4 in the Federal District (now the city of Rio), two in São Paulo and one in Belém, Recife, Salvador, Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre.
In 1939, Dr. Fernando Gross dies at 55 and his son Renato Gross and his daughter, Mercedes Gross, take over the company's control. They both graduated from University of Brasil - Medical School and Pharmacy School respectively.
During the World War II, importing drugs was difficult, the time was of great impetus to the domestic industry and the lab.
In the 50's, the company reached all states in Brazil and its sales supplied 6.000 doctors monthly. The 35 propagandists worked hard and laboratory sales grew steadily during the decade.
In 1961, capitalized, the Laboratory acquires the Labrápia lab, who previously had produced and sold medicin in Cuba and Colombia.
In 1962, the land on which stood the Gross production plant was expropriated and moved to its current installations.
The company acquired a 49.000 sqft. land in the Meier neighborhood where stood once a textile factory. The moving took nearly a year and during that period, the Gross products were produced in the newly acquired Labrápia.
Under the leadership of Carlos Fernando Gross - 60's to present.
In 1963, health problems led Dr. Renato to move away from the company's management and Mr. Carlos Fernando Gross, aged 20, takes control and becomes responsible for his grandfather's legacy. Carlos Fernando has a degree in Engineering from PUC-RJ.
Now a respected name within the medical class due, primarily, to the way its business was conducted, the company, however, lacked a better commercial approach. Some business acumen.
Two other laboratories were incorpored in late 70's: Labonobel in 1977 and Panquímica in 1978.
Acquisitions made the Laboratory at the time one of the three largest national laboratories in Rio de Janeiro. However, the conditions imposed by the government in the next decade would take the lab to your most difficult moment since its foundation.
Ridden by the recent acquisitions, some of the products had to be discontinuated due the negative gain margin, given the high costs of raw materials. During the 80's and the 90's there were the hardest days. Many of the contemporary Gross national laboratories closed their doors due the hyperinflation in Brazil.
Only in 1992 the Gross Laboratory begins its recovery process in the years that follow and in 1995 the debt ratios were irrelevant and the revenues - now in dollars - three times higher than a decade ago.
Nowadays, the Lab has over 350 employees in many areas such production, sales and administration.
The Gross products and its international partners are present in retail outlets across the country.
Our keyword is now to GROW.